22 March 2012

baked welsh cakes

earlier this week was our vegetarian society's monthly potluck and this month's theme was to bring something representing your cultural heritage.  m has some welsh in him and he loves wales so for his dish we brought welsh cakes.  also known as bakestones, traditionally these are skillet-fried sweet cakes that are something like a scone {although unlike a scone, apparently they're not usually served with an accompaniment}. 


welsh cakes  adapted from here.
makes 24-26 mini cakes
2 cups organic all purpose flour
1/3 cup organic cane sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of ground cloves
1/2 cup cold earth balance {or another vegan margarine}
1/3 cup currants, soaked
4-6 tbsp almond milk {or another non-dairy milk}

preheat the oven to 350f.  whisk together all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and then cut in the cold earth balance until you get what looks like course crumbs.  drain the currants from their soaking water and stir them in.  add the almond milk one tablespoon at a time until a dry dough comes together.  using your hands, form the dough into a ball and then break off a good-sized chunk {about 1/4 of the dough}.  roll it out to be 1/4 inch thick on a piece of parchment or a lightly-floured surface.  cut out your cakes using a cookie cutter {or a glass will do in a pinch}.  twist the cutter back and forth to release it from the rest of the dough.  line up the cutouts on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.  remove, flip them all over and return to the oven for another 8-10 minutes.  they should be lightly browned on both sides but still soft in the middle.  sprinkle immediately with a little more organic cane sugar.  serve warm or a room temperature.

*for more traditional cakes, bake your welsh cakes on a griddle for about 5 minutes per side.*



being the non-traditionalist i am, i brought along some earth balance and my mom's homemade jam to go along with them.


these had actually been on my mental "to make" list since way back in july when my friend jenny brought some to our girls cottage weekend.  they weren't vegan so i couldn't try them, but i resolved to veganize them!  so here we are 7 months later and jenny is about to have a baby this week, so although these were for the potluck, they're really for you jenny & that beautiful baby who's bound to make an appearance sooner or later.  {hopefully sooner!}  xo.
 

oh yes, and in case you were dying in suspense wondering what else we brought to the potluck, for the other dish, the one to represent part of my background, i made my first ever kugel!  it looked great, and smelled amazing, and i came home from the potluck with an empty pan, but it wasn't quite good enough to warrant a recipe share.  yet.  it could have been that i couldn't find matzo meal in sudbury or maybe it just needs a tweak from joe {aka dad}. 


12 comments:

  1. My boyfriend's mother makes the best apple kugel. I have yet to figure out it's magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmm, apple kugel sounds divine! this one was a savoury potato kugel, but maybe once i master it i'll throw myself at an apple one and see what happens.

      Delete
  2. Im welsh too and these welsh cakes are a definite favourite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your welsh cakes! i actually made a very similar type of irish tea biscuit last week! so good with tea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I regret to say that I have never eaten welsh cakes. I love scones, though, and these cakes look fantastic! I bet they would make a nice breakfast with some fruit and jam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had welsh cakes but I know i'd love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe, vegan Welsh Cakes!!! I'm so excited :) I'm Welsh (with Jones as a last name, how can you tell!?) and my family makes these all of the time. I'm excited to try a vegan version. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so good! Just discovered your blog and I am just loving it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I gοt onto bloggeг.com from http://cupcakeѕandkale.
    blogsрot.com/ and I gotta say, уou hаve a sleek blog layout.

    How long havе you been running this blоg? You make runnіng а blog loοk easу.
    The entirе look of уour website is sрlenԁid,
    let alonе the articles.

    Alѕo vіsit my web blοg Ausrüstung

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you sooo much for blogging this recipe!

    I'm American and lived in South Wales for about 5 years with my boyfriend (now husband), and Welsh cakes are one of my favorites. I made couple adjustments--added a bit of nutmeg, a drop of vanilla and about 2 tbsp more of almond milk. My valley boy was extremely pleased with the result! Thanks again, I'll be following this recipe for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recipe success Kayce! I'm thrilled you both enjoyed them.

      Delete