28 March 2012

cheezy garlic bread

confession: i'm a bit of a bread fiend.  if there is a gorgeous, crusty, artisanal baguette around, look out.  seriously, if you want to have some, best not to leave the room because it will likely be gone by the time you get back.  my mom has often said i'm such a nadel because of this bread love.  neither of my brothers are any better and my dad, well i think we got it from him.  she of course is a nadel by marriage and had managed to avoid the bread fiend trait.  {i'm no genealogist, but is it possible that bread love is genetic??}

needless to say, i try to limit the amount of bread we keep in the house.

but after all of the bread we ate recently in spain i've thrown caution to the wind and we've started treating ourselves a nice ace baguette when at the grocery store.  {sidenote: it's funny how i've found myself making several trips a week for grocery runs lately...}  sometimes in the afternoon when my hunger strikes, instead of having a little smoothie or chia pudding to get me through to dinner i've been making this:



cheezy garlic bread.  it's sort of my new obsession, and yes i realize that it's far from being a superfood, but sometimes just being super delicious is good enough for me.  {at least there's some nutritional yeast on it though, right?}

to make your own super cheezy garlic bread you'll need:
  • a few slices of your favourite artisanal baguette
  • earth balance
  • a pinch of dehydrated garlic granules {or go for fresh if it doesn't kill your stomach like it does mine}
  • a pinch of sea salt
  • nutritional yeast
  • a couple tablespoons of daiya
  • a pinch on dried basil

then simply toast your bread, spread it with earth balance, season with a little pinch of garlic & salt and then douse it with nutritional yeast.  finally, sprinkle liberally with some daiya and a little dried basil and finish it off under the broiler to get your cheese all melty. 

i think this is my new comfort food...


try it yourself! 

just don't ask me to keep an eye on it - i can't promise it will be here when you get back.

17 comments:

  1. I can't buy bread because I eat it all so rapidly. It's really a dangerous game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so dangerous... last year i learned how to make my own. that's even more dangerous! (i subsequently unlearned it btw. hah)

      Delete
  2. I am the same way...I will make any excuse to make a sandwich, toast, etc. Bread is almost gone as quickly as chocolate...it's neck and neck....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think some of that bread love started for us at camp that summer when we made a regular habit of late night toast dates :)

      Delete
  3. this looks delicious! if i could eat baguette bread, i would be making this in a heart beat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what about those irish tea biscuits?? haha, maybe not the best match for cheezy garlic bread...

      Delete
  4. This picture will be my comfort food. It's the closest I can to eat it but I think I can be okay with it. I am already drooling...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m convinced that bread-love is hereditary, my mom’s a bread fiend and so am I.
    I’ve yet to try noochy garlic bread, I’m afraid I’ll eat the whole loaf in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude.

    I haven't bought an ACE ciabatta baguette in months. After seeing this post, I bought one today. Thanks for the inspiration ;)

    My criterion is usually this: If I go grocery shopping and the baguettes on display have condensation on the plastic (i.e. they are fresh), then it is wrong to NOT buy one. Today, though my baguette's bag was condensation-free, I... I kept thinking about your post. I even didn't care about having to bike home awkwardly with it. Haha.

    You're a bad, great influence ;) Thanks for sharing this. Man, that is a dreamy snack that you've cooked up. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, i'm SO happy to be a bad, great influence in your life kris, even if it meant an awkward bikeride :D

      Delete
  7. Agreed - I love bread, and it's dangerous to keep around the house! However, I do occasionally indulge! I love your blog, Jess! Apologies if you mentioned this before, what kind of camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much ingrid! :)
      i take all my photographs with a great little canon power shot point & shoot - the S90.

      Delete
  8. It's so funny that I came across this- I am having a similar obsession right now! Anything bready, buttery, and garlicy: I am all over it. This looks so yummy! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks too delicious! I normally aim to use daiya for a good grilled cheese or burrito... thank you for expanding my daiya cheese use!

    ReplyDelete