27 November 2012

macaroni + tomato juice: aka a big bowl of comfort

growing up there were a few tried and true lunches my mom would make that my brothers and i would happily gobble up.  her grilled cheese with fresh tomato was always a hit, as were the mini pizzas baked on english muffins, but nothing could compare to a big bowl of macaroni and tomato juice.  nothing.

i know it sounds weird, but hear me out.  it's a bit of an ingell family staple.  my grandma used to make it for my mom and her sisters when they were growing up, and in turn mom made it for us.  i suppose it's some sort of a 50s prairie farm version of a pasta pomodoro - just long before the days of the food network.  there is nothing glamorous about it, and frankly for anyone else who didn't grow up eating it {so likely all of you...} it might even strike you as a little weird.  but i say don't knock it til you try it.   it might just surprise you.


here's what you need:
little elbow pasta {i prefer whole wheat}
tomato juice from a big tin can
vegan cheese of your choosing {my go to is daiya mozzarella shreds}

here's what you do:
cook and drain the pasta, then put the macaroni back in the pot along with a generous cup or two of tomato juice and heat it on the stove until it's hot and simmering.  then pour it into a bowl and top with cheese which will get all gooey and delicious.  a big crack of fresh pepper is the best way to finish it off.  and then, dig in.

prepare to be comforted.


i've been making this quite a lot lately to warm me up and provide a little comfort of home and my mom.  it's quick, easy and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.  and it's always delicious but for some reason even more so when someone you love makes it for you.  any day now when our little vegan bun in the oven makes his or her grand entrance, my mom will be making a trip north to meet her first grandchild and maybe if i ask really nicely she'll be willing to make me a little bowl of macaroni and tomato juice...


11 comments:

  1. Yum - this looks like great comfort food! Thinking of you and I'm excited your little one will make an entrance soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can imagine this being delicious. it's so funny, growing up, certain foods my mom made seemed magical. and then after i grew up i realized it was special because she made it for me, not because it was any culinary classic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems a little strange but I totally get how it could be yummy and comforting. My mom used to make me and my sister wiener rarebit when we were little, it was basically just cooked wieners in a cheesy, condensed milk mixture on toast and we loved it! Most people would think it’s gross or weird but it will always be so comforting to me because my mom used to make it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the weirdest thing is that i actually thought about this today - not that i've ever had anything like it, but my boyfriend used to eat it all the time, and just today i told myself that maybe i should give it a shot. and then i see this in my blogroll. crazy. who knows, maybe i'll ask him to make me some for dinner ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So yummy! Easy to make and delicious to eat on rainy lazy days :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy!! I've done macaroni & tomato soup so it's not so weird :) ~sara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I wish my parents would have cooked that kind of food for me. Sounds awesome!

    I just wanted to say that I don't get to visit your blog as often as I want to anymore and I want to with you lots of good vibes for the rest of your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made something similar- such a comfort :) I'm glad you posted this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such an incredibly creative idea!!! I love it, and think it sounds like ideal comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't do vegan, but I linked you on my blog because of the title. If you create a recipe using kale in cupcakes, do share.

    ReplyDelete