07 January 2013

miso-tahini kelp noodle salad

thanks for the positive response to the cookie recipe i posted over the weekend!  i`ve had several people ask me where they can find vegan white chocolate chips in ontario, and now i feel like such a tease since i can`t even source them locally myself... believe it or not, i`ve been hoarding the bag i received from kelly last summer in the vegan food swap!

so far i`ve been telling folks about veganessentials.com since i know they carry them, but i`d love to share more options, especially those spots to get your vegan white chocolate fix in person, so if you know of any other sources (both in ontario and beyond), or if you make your own and have a recipe to share, please let me know via email, on facebook or in the comments section and i'll compile all the sources in an upcoming post!

today i want to share a delicious little salad that i whipped up for lunch.  this one is raw, gluten-free and likely falls a bit more in line with healthy new year goals you may have set.


the star of this salad is kelp noodles, and i`m sorry to my local readers -- these are yet another ingredient that we can`t find in sudbury.  (i get mine in toronto, usually in kensington market at either tutti frutti or essence of life organics, and i stocked up before having woodrow.  if anyone is really interested let me know - i could probably spare a package.)



this salad is full of crunch: kelp noodles, carrot, cucumber & celery all tossed up in a rich, creamy dressing.  perfect for lunch or would make a great dinner alongside some baked tofu & sauteed greens.

miso-tahini kelp noodle salad
2 entree or 4 side servings
1 bag of kelp noodles, rinsed
1/3 cucumber, seeded and diced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 carrot, grated
2 tbsp hemp hearts

mix the noodles and the veggies in a large bowl and toss with the miso tahini dressing.  serve and top with hemp hearts.

miso-tahini dressing
1 tsp miso paste
1.5 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp gluten-free tamari
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp umboshi vinegar (or rice vinegar)
dash of agave nectar
water to desired thickness

for the dressing, whisk everything together (it will be really thick) and then thin to your desired thickness by adding a little water at a time.


shared at the yummy wellness weekend hosted by diet, dessert and dogs

18 comments:

  1. Aside from the Vegan Sweets brand from Pangea, I normally order them online from Amazon, just search Oppenheimer or King David white chocolate (same company, just two different brandings)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What store did you get the kelp noodles in when you were in Toronto?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops, i forgot to mention that! usually in kensington market at either tutti frutti or essence of life organics.

      Delete
    2. You can get kelp noodles at St. Lawrence Market downstairs as well.

      Delete
  3. looks so light and fresh! i've never had kelp noodles before. someone once described them to me as being like rubber bands. i guess i should give them a shot, though, if you like them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, no they're wonderful! promise me you try them at least once!

      Delete
  4. Mmmm, I'm a big fan of kelp noodles since discovering them last year.This looks like a great and simple recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's only in the past year i tried them myself and love how quick they pull a meal together :)

      Delete
  5. YUMMMM!!!! I just found your blog and love it! I was trying to decide what to bring to work for dinner tomorrow--I wanted something discrete enough to eat at my desk and easily transportable--and I'm totally going to make this! It's perfect! Do you have any suggestions for what I can use besides the miso paste? I don't have any on hand :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks laura, so glad you found me!
      in the absence of miso i would just increase the sesame oil & tamari to taste for a extra flavour punch. hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
    2. Great suggestion! I did just that and added a pinch more sea salt too since miso is kind of salty ;) It was awesome!!!

      Delete
  6. toronto has everything for the raw foodist! i bought a bag at rawlicious when i visited in 2010. sad it's been so long since i last had kelp noodles. i love them, and that dish looks scrumptious! ps: sea spaghetti - not so yummy, to me and my partner anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to order white chocolate from Viva Vegan…but now that they’re closed, I’m not sure where to get them from. Karmavore always seems to be sold out, so I guess Vegan Essentials would be the best bet.
    I’ve never seen kelp noodles before, are they kind of fishy tasting? Miso tahini sauce is so good! I could put that stuff on anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just have to say, I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog :) All of your recipes look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many of my favorite ingredients in one enticing dish! I seriously love kelp noodles, even though they're quite the splurge. Add miso and tahini, and there's no way you could keep me from devouring the whole thing! In fact, I may just make this for dinner right now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Naturalzing.com sells kelp noodles and can ship to Canada the cheapest way possible if you call and speak with someone. They are so helpful!

    ReplyDelete